Jenkins for Ubuntu: Call for Testing

Posted in Uncategorized on March 2nd, 2011 by Dave Walker

(Reproduced from James Page’s blog post, a member of the Ubuntu Server Team)

Many of you may have wondered what I [James Page] have been doing since UDS-N; some of you may have know that I have been working on packaging Jenkins (nee Hudson) from source along with all of its build dependencies (all 80 of them).

After just over 3 months I’ve managed to get a 99% built from source Jenkins into the Hudson Ubuntu Testing PPA; this is core Jenkins only at this point in time; no plugins come bundled (although you can still install them using the Plugin Manager).

If you want to help out with testing, read on….

Getting started

So first things first; lets add the Jenkins testing PPA and install the jenkins package:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hudson-ubuntu/testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jenkins

Wait some time and Jenkins should be up and running.

Accessing Jenkins

Once the package has installed you should be able to access Jenkins on http://localhost:8080 (or whatever server you installed it on).

Jenkins comes completely empty; no jobs, minimal configuration, no security.  Follow the normal Jenkins ‘Use Jenkins‘ guide to get started.

Reporting problems

This is a testing package so it ain’t going to be perfect. Please join the hudson-ubuntu-users team and subscribe to the mailing list on launchpad to discuss general issues and report problems.

You can also find me (jamespage) in #ubuntu-server on Freenode if you like to use IRC.

Whats still todo?

Well as I said this is 99% built from source; a few packages are either binary packages (built from jars) or packages that bundle their dependencies in the upstream source bundle. I’m working with upstream(s) to get these issues sorted.

That said, everything that is installed on your server or desktop in the jenkins package IS built from source. Offending packages are either used for testing or generating documentation during library builds.

I’m also going to start working on packaging a few core plugins from source (see the associated blueprint for details); for the time being you can download and install from within Jenkins. I will also create a patch so that this feature can be disable if required.  Please feel free to apply to join the team if you want to package a plugin.

The Future

Well ultimately probably the main Ubuntu archive and Debian; but lets leave that until next release….

And if you were wondering, Hudson renamed itself to Jenkins in late January (hence the Hudson name keeps creeping into this post).

Server Team 20110125 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on January 25th, 2011 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

Other Topics

  • Reviewing the action for ALL to check for verification-needed bugs, the list has remained managable and the process seems mostly to be working.
  • Natty Development – Alpha2 is close, some WI’s may need to be postponed but nothing specific yet.
  • Kernel Team (smb) – EC2 t1.micro and i386 fixes for natty kernel are pending – should be in next kernel
  • SpamapS suggested adding an “Upcoming Events” section to the agenda for Ubuntu Server interested people to talk about and coordinate events they’ll be attending.
  • QA Team (hggdh), Community Team (kim0), and Documentation Team (sommer) representatives were all absent.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 1 at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Ubuntu Server Meeting Minutes from 2011-01-18

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on January 21st, 2011 by Dave Walker

Agenda

Review ACTION points from previous meeting
ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bugs

http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
Natty Development

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)
Open Discussion
Announce next meeting date and time
Tuesday, February 1 2011 16:00 UTC

Minutes

The last full meeting had resulted in no new actions. The only action item was “ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bug” at http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html. This is carried forward at SpamapS’s suggestion. robbiew announced that Natty development is goin gwell and we’ve made great progress on work items.

smb is working on bug 686692 (natty kernel does not boot on ec2 t1.micro), but had not yet found a final solution. He also pushed a lucid SRU for bug 614853 (kernel panic divide error: 0000 [#1] SMP). Some discussion ensued on bug 704022 (“xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary on kernel cmdline is required in ec2 hvm”), to be continued offline.

Finally, the channel as a whole skillfully evaded the question “should ubuntu try to look like windows or Mac or neither?”.

Meeting Actions

ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bugs (carried over)

http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, January 25th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Log

[16:01] #startmeeting
[16:01] Meeting started at 10:01. The chair is hallyn.
[16:01] Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
[16:01] *\o/* gooooo rally!
[16:01] hallyn: err, ok you can do it if you want. 😉
[16:02] [TOPIC] Review ACTION points from previous meeting
[16:02] New Topic: Review ACTION points from previous meeting
[16:02] ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bugs
[16:02] http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
[16:02] LINK received: http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html
[16:02] everyone rais your hands if you’re NOT guilty
[16:03] That one should, I think, roll forward for a bit longer so we remember that its important.
[16:03] at least until 10.04.2
[16:03] [ACTION] ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bugs
[16:03] ACTION received: ALL: please check the SRU tracker for ‘needs-verification’ bugs
[16:03] SpamapS: sounds good, i’ll try to remember to keep the link in with the action when i carry over
[16:04] robbiew to review ServerTeam wiki [carried over]
[16:04] i thought that was done?
[16:04] hm, is robbiew in?
[16:04] I recall him claiming he’d done it as well.
[16:04] o/
[16:04] hm, didn’t get updated on the meeting page…
[16:05] robbiew: ^ ServerTeam wiki all reviewed and uptodate?
[16:05] yeah i totally missed the boat on the server page
[16:06] yup…at least the external one
[16:06] zul: meaning action items aren’t updated? in that case let me search the logs for the real ction items
[16:07] Hi everyone!
[16:09] ShootEmUp: welcome!
[16:09] glad to be here
[16:10] feh, there, jan 4
[16:10] yay, there ARE no actions from the jan 4 meeting
[16:11] \o/
[16:11] so, barring objections (i.e. if i’m mistaken), i’ll move on
[16:11] none? what do they do in those meetings?
[16:11] [TOPIC] Natty Development
[16:11] New Topic: Natty Development
[16:11] ShootEmUp: play duke nukem
[16:11] robbiew: ^ over to you
[16:11] hallyn, what?
[16:12] * robbiew wonders why he covers the one topic he doesn’t do 😛
[16:12] heh
[16:12] so we made great progress on work items
[16:12] charlie-tca!
[16:12] lots of Done’s, Postpones, and dropped
[16:12] all goodness
[16:12] I haven’t checked bugs yet
[16:13] but I usually know of the serious ones…from the irc pings and email
[16:13] that’s it!
[16:13] Thanks Mr. Narwhal!
[16:13] I have a topic to debate
[16:13] [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
[16:13] New Topic: Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
[16:13] ShootEmUp: if its not related to the current topic please hold it until Open Discussion
[16:13] ShootEmUp: wait till the end of the meeting for Open Discussion 🙂
[16:13] okay
[16:14] didn’t actually see hggdh today, is he around?
[16:14] guess not, moving on, i know smb is here 🙂
[16:14] [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
[16:14] New Topic: Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
[16:15] So I did some little stuff last week but have no paper records, hence I am not sure anymore what that was
[16:15] Currently working on bug 686692
[16:15] Launchpad bug 686692 in linux (Ubuntu Natty) “natty kernel does not boot on ec2 t1.micro” [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/686692
[16:16] which I can locally reproduce but not yet found a final solution
[16:16] smb, Is that the bug that only happend on t1.micro i386’s?
[16:16] just that it would boot if the mem= is a multiple of 4
[16:16] Daviey, t1.micro but I believe both i386 and x86_64
[16:16] ah
[16:17] They are doing something different with memory layout too. Just not sure this is just something that happens too or related
[16:17] any questions for smb?
[16:18] Other thing I pushed for SRU in lucid is the paper over approach for bug 614853
[16:18] Launchpad bug 614853 in linux-ec2 (Ubuntu) “kernel panic divide error: 0000 [#1] SMP” [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/614853
[16:18] To keep until we found/got a real solution
[16:19] smb, What nasty effects does it have?
[16:19] The current patch just avoids the divide by zero. While the variable in question is supposed to never be zero in the first place
[16:20] So I sent two patches for sru, the one preventing the divide and one sort of debug patch to yell when the variable is set/left zero
[16:21] smoser, Are you arround?
[16:21] o/
[16:21] yeah, smb, i agree with that.
[16:22] Just saw your bug 704022
[16:22] Launchpad bug 704022 in linux (Ubuntu) “xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary on kernel cmdline is required in ec2 hvm” [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/704022
[16:22] one thing i had considered would have been to just add the debugging bit, and let it crash
[16:22] Though I am a bit confused by the logs as the ones which say with option and working seem to contain drops into busybox as well
[16:22] even with info like “if you see this message, please add to bug at https://launcpad.net/…”
[16:23] smb i may have uploaded incorrect (un-trimmed) logs
[16:23] but it does fail
[16:23] smoser, What made me rethink a bit is that those affected people seem to run production severs with that and so maybe a avoid and complain is preferable
[16:24] yeah, so the reboot with argument i sjust not trimmed
[16:24] so it contains the previous boot log (thats why the busybox in the middle of it)
[16:24] http://launchpadlibrarian.net/62372677/restart-with-unplug-arg.txt
[16:24] LINK received: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/62372677/restart-with-unplug-arg.txt
[16:24] smoser, Ah ok. That xvd* does not show up without the option is ok. Though one would think the sd* devices should always
[16:25] smb, yeah, i agree, getting people actually fixed is good, but if you fix the problem you’ll never get debug info
[16:25] they wont send it becuase they wont know they have a problem
[16:25] so do you want it changed? (let’s either make a decision, or move offline?)
[16:25] * SpamapS wonders if this couldn’t be discussed further offline?
[16:26] * SpamapS apologizes for smashing hallyn’s toes
[16:26] i can defer to smb’s decision.
[16:26] grrr
[16:26] ok – any other questions for smb?
[16:26] (or from)
[16:26] if not,
[16:26] I am done
[16:26] thanks, smb
[16:26] [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
[16:26] New Topic: Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
[16:27] sommer is not around
[16:27] 🙁
[16:27] yup
[16:27] [TOPIC] Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)
[16:27] New Topic: Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)
[16:27] kim0 is also not around
[16:27] and so, we move on to
[16:27] [TOPIC] Open Discussion
[16:27] New Topic: Open Discussion
[16:28] ShootEmUp: your turn
[16:28] should ubuntu try to look like windows or Mac or neither?
[16:28] lol
[16:29] ShootEmUp: you may want to ask that in #ubuntu
[16:29] like my old palm V
[16:29] ShootEmUp: indeed. This is the Server team meeting
[16:29] lol
[16:29] okay
[16:29] SpamapS: for some reason i thougth there was something you wanted to discuss?
[16:30] why does everybody always assume I want to TALK? 😉
[16:30] no I’m good
[16:30] 🙂
[16:30] wow, first time for everything! 🙂
[16:30] anybody? going once…
[16:30] SpamapS: because you are a chatty cathy
[16:30] zul: whatever you nervous nelly
[16:30] going twice…
[16:31] SpamapS: i know what you are but what am i?
[16:31] [TOPIC] Announce next meeting date and time
[16:31] New Topic: Announce next meeting date and time
[16:31] hm, the meeting page says feb 1
[16:31] i dont’ think that’s right
[16:31] I would have assumed:
[16:31] 25th
[16:31] Tuesday, January 25 2011 16:00 UTC
[16:32] ok, another almost action-free meeting.
[16:32] thanks all
[16:32] #endmeeting
[16:32] Meeting finished at 10:32.

MeetingLogs/Server/20110118 (last edited 2011-01-21 17:57:47 by Serge Hallyn)

Ubuntu Server Meeting Minutes from 2010-12-07

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on December 14th, 2010 by Dave Walker
Agenda
  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • Natty Development
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date and time

Minutes

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
    • ALL: please check the SRU tracker http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html for ‘needs-verification’ bugs
    • robbiew to review ServerTeam wiki
      • got status page up, but still reviewing
    • SpamapS to email a concrete proposal for addressing SRU verification backlog
      • done
    • Kernel team to follow up on bug 661294
      • still in progress
    • SpamapS to setup trend line for server team natty work items
      • done
    • JamesPage to arrange URL for Hudson CI Server
      • still in progress
  • Natty Development
    • Alpha1 released
    • robbiew doesn’t have much here for this week
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)
    • 684304 is blocking UEC testing
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb)
    • working on a hard-to-reproduce nfs bug
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)
    • not much to say, more next week
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)
  • Open Discussion
    • RoAkSoAx working on MIRs for the cluster stack in Natty
    • zul to request feedback on the install-service blueprint to the mailing list
  • Announce next meeting date and time

Meeting Actions

  • ACTION: robbiew to review ServerTeam wiki
  • ACTION: Kernel team to follow up on 661294
  • ACTION: JamesPage to arrange URL for Hudson CI Server
  • ACTION: spamaps to talk to his friend to try and get more info on Bug #684304
  • ACTION: zul to request feedback on the install-service blueprint to the mailing list

Detailed log at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20101207

Server Team 20101116 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on November 18th, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • ALL: please check the SRU tracker https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/SRUTracker and help out with verification
  • robbiew to review /ServerTeam wiki
  • SpamapS to email a concrete proposal for addressing SRU verification backlog

General Discussion

  • There are a great number of unnasigned SRU-nominated bugs. We should try tomake progress on the lucid ones before 10.04.2. SpamapS will devise a concrete proposal for addressing the backlog and email it for comment.
  • hggdh sent out a call for packges running testsuites during build. He got some more packages to build, and they are already on the process.
  • Robbie’s main focus with blueprints is to identify work we know we can’t do. For the most part, looking good. He hopes to have it all sorted by Friday.
  • After almost 10 minutes spent discussing maverick SRUs, it was suggested that while they had been important to discuss immediately after release, they should now be globbed into the big list with lucid ones. Skaet will be sending an email about a bi-weekly meeting to cover SRU’s. Serge will remove them from the server team agenda.
  • hggdh is working with zul to take over part of the SRU process.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 23d at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20101109 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on November 15th, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • mathiaz: to verify SRU bug 666028
  • ALL: please check the SRU tracker for verification-needed bugs and help out with verification
  • SpamapS: change kernel team representative from jjohansen to smb in meeting agenda going forward
  • robbiew: update the fridge calendar with new ubuntu server meeting time
  • hggdh: contact Ubuntu Developers asking for packages which run test suites during build.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

Because the previous meeting was pre-UDS, there were no ACTION points to review.

Natty Development

Specifications should be submitted for review, robbiew is reviewing/approving those that are ready.

Maverick SRUs

  • JamesPage brought up bug #666028 as it would need verification.

  • This brought up the bigger topic that there are no actual resources available to do verification of SRU’s right now, so we should all allocate some time to watching for SRU’s that are marked verification-needed and verify when possible. These are listed in Chuck’s SRU tracker: http://people.canonical.com/~chucks/SRUTracker/sru-tracker-bugs.html#verified_bugs

  • There was talk of a “daily verification” schedule similar to bug triage. Discussion of this further is deferred.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • The ISO images page was consolidated, causing some confusion. hggdh thought we were going to have to start doing ISO testing for MAC, armel, PPC, even possibly PS3.
    • robbiew put this to rest, i386/amd64 are the only ones requiring server ISO testing. This was just the result of consolidation.
  • hggdh is expanding daily builds to include any packages that run extensive tests during their build process.
    • All are encouraged to send examples to hggdh. He will contact ubuntu developers for help in finding more.
    • mathiaz noted that rules files could be grepped for the ‘nocheck’ test that is suggested for any large test suites during build.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • jjohansen has transitioned his role as server team kernel delegate to smb
  • smb notes kernel bug #415353 which he will be looking into to help address issues with teh bnx2x drivers.
  • jjohansen noted that there is an SRU pending for bug #651370 which causes ec2 to crash with an invalid opcode in maverick
  • jjohansen noted that pv-on-hvm drivers are in the natty kernel and will undergo testing/experimentation in the short term.

Meeting time and scheduling

  • The meeting is a bit late in the day for many of the european participants, so it was proposed, and accepted, to move the meeting back to 1600 UTC.
    • robbiew will add an entry to the official #ubuntu-meeting calendar on the fridge

Open Discussion

  • RoAkSoaX would like people to review his split for cluster-stack library packages. SpamapS suggests adding a merge proposal and asking ubuntu-server for review.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 16th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20101019 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on October 20th, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the puppet community: carried over
  • ALL to mark maverick assigned specs as “Implemented” or Deferred: carried over
  • jjohansen to look into virtual kernel bug status (658461): carried over

  • jjohansen to look into t1.micro java lockup bug (634487): in progress

Natty development

  • It’s Syncs and merges season, please cover your bits.
  • UDS sessions relating to server are listed at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~ttx/+specs?role=subscriber

  • All blueprints should now be filed.
  • We may consider an extra blueprint about openvswitch, need to define use cases first.
  • For good scheduling, everyone should mark themselves essential to the sessions where they are indeed essential. That is done through Subscribing to the blueprint and marking yourself essential to the discussion.
  • Set yourself as drafter on UDS sessions you want to lead. If you can’t do that, ask ttx to do it for you.

Maverick SRUs

  • Bug 661547 – Existing patch gssapi.diff makes guess_service_principal produce garbage: blocked by other fix in -proposed

  • Bug 657149 – squid fails to upgrade: incomplete

  • Bug 658227 – openldap fails to upgrade: in -proposed

  • Bug 660227 – php5-pgsql crash on getting an error back from postgres: in -proposed

  • Bug 600174 – axis2c fails to build from source on maverick/i386: Daviey will ping doko about it at UDS

  • We need to revive the SRU tracker for Maverick to ease SRU work tracking.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • smoser proposed kernel bug bounties under a beer form.
  • kernel version for natty should be 2.6.37 or .38
  • smoser raised Bug 662842 (remove linux-ec2 from natty): jjohansen said it was on his TODO alraedy

Open Discussion

  • robbiew is now Canonical server team interim manager.
  • ScottK mentioned a discussion on the ML that wasn’t translated into a spec yet: fixing hostname detection/setting. This is a foundations spec, but of great interest for server. Robbie filed it and subscribed Scott to it.

Meeting Actions

  • mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the puppet community (carry over)

  • ALL to mark maverick assigned specs as “Implemented” or Deferred (carry over)

  • jjohansen to look into bug 634487 and bug 658461 (carry over)

  • ttx to check if a session is needed around openvswitch

  • ALL to subscribe to BPs where their attendance is required

  • ALL to set themselves as drafter where they want to lead sessions

  • zul to check SRU tracker status

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be Tuesday 2010-11-02 at 1800 UTC – #ubuntu-meeting (10/26 cancelled for UDS).

Server Team 20101012 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on October 13th, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Meeting Actions

  • ACTION: mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the puppet community (carry over)

  • ACTION: ALL to mark maverick assigned specs as “Implemented” or Deferred

  • ACTION: jjohansen to look into virtual kernel bug status (658461)

  • ACTION: jjohansen to look into t1.micro java lockup bug (634487)

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • ACTION: mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the puppet community
    • mathiaz was unable to attend, action point carried over to next week
  • ACTION: smoser to get skaet info on how to publish EC2 images
    • DONE ec2 images were published along with the rest of 10.10
  • ACTION: Everyone to celebrate the 10.10.10 release in their own unique ways
    • DONE emphatically

Postmortem for Maverick (ttx)

  • Close your specs
    • ACTION: ALL to mark maverick assigned specs as “Implemented” or Deferred

  • SRUs (658227, 600174)

    • Everyone should keep a close eye on high priority bug candidates for SRU to maverick.

Natty development

  • Opening: Syncs and Merges (ttx)
    • Natty will open soon, now is the time to start looking at merges
  • Natty specs preparation (jib)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh)

  • QA and BugSquad are phasing out the ‘regression-potential’ tag, and it should not be used anymore. regression-release, regression-proposed, or regression-updates should be used to signal even potential regressions.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • Phantom load bug fix in lucid has not landed yet but should soon
  • ACTION: jjohansen to look into virtual kernel bug status (658461)

  • ACTION: jjohansen to look into t1.micro java lockup bug (634487)

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer)

  • sommer was not in attendance

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0)

  • Reminder that this is UbuntuOpenWeek

  • kim0 has been talking with some community members and getting them fired up about contributing, with 8 potential contributors. He would appreciate volunteers for mentoring them.

Open Discussion

  • RoAkSoAx has an HA UEC-CLC setup using cluster stack (pacemaker, heartbeat), he would like to discuss this further at UDS during a cluster stack focused session.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday 2010-10-19 at 1800 UTC – #ubuntu-meeting

Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes from 2010-10-05

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on October 12th, 2010 by Dave Walker

For more details, see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20101005

== Minutes ==
==== Meeting Actions ====
* ACTION: mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the
puppet community
* ACTION: smoser to get skaet info on how to publish EC2 images
* ACTION:  Everyone to celebrate the 10.10.10 release in their own unique ways

==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ====
* jiboumans to send an email to ubuntu-server@ and/or blog post for
call for ideas
* DONE (during the course of the meeting)
* mathiaz to send out a call for ideas on ubuntu to the puppet community
* ACTION (held over to next week)

==== Maverick development (jib) ====
* jib: winding down, ttx in London for release sprint

==== release status, the road to 10.10.10 release (ttx) ====
* ttx: nothing critical, a few FTBFS, nothing queued against the
release, ISO testing to begin soon
* ACTION: smoser to get skaet info on how to publish EC2 images

==== Natty preparation (jib) ====
* jib: [[ServerTeam/NattyIdeaPool]] is open, spend some time next
week brainstorming

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (hggdh) ====
* hggdh: we will be dropping regression-potential

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ====
* jjohansen: ill, not at meeting

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Documentation Team (sommer) ====
* sommer: not around

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Ubuntu Community Team (kim0) ====
* kim0: not around

==== Open Discussion ====
* SRU 649591 (mountall spins eating cpu when ‘nobootwait’ option
exists in fstab followed by a comma)
* kirkland sponsored smoser’s proposal
* ACTION:  Everyone to celebrate the 10.10.10 release in their own unique ways

==== Announce next meeting date and time ====
* Tuesday 2010-10-12 at 1800 UTC – #ubuntu-meeting

:-Dustin

UDS Natty: Call for Blueprints for Ubuntu Server

Posted in Uncategorized on October 5th, 2010 by Dave Walker

With the Maverick release cycle nearing its completion, it’s
time to start looking forward to our next release: Natty
Narwhal.

Following tradition, we’ll kick off the Natty development
cycle with a Ubuntu Developer Summit in the last week of
October. To help us make the most of that week, we’ve started
a wiki page to collect all ideas and feedback regarding
the Ubuntu Server, which we’ll use as input to the individual
sessions at UDS:

There’s a braindump area at the top; anything goes and all
ideas are welcome. If you have anything you’d like to see
changed in Natty, we’d love to hear about it!

If you’ll be attending UDS and already have a topic for a
session you’d like to lead, please suggest it in the ‘UDS
Sessions’ section at the bottom of the page. Be sure to
add your name to it and a link to the matching blueprint
in Launchpad.

I’m very much looking forward to your contributions and
hope to see you in person at UDS.

-Jos