Server Team 20080722 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on July 23rd, 2008 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Add ‘status’ action to server init scripts

kirkland generated a list of init scripts that could have a status action added to them. The wiki page also outlines how to add a status action and file a bug in LP to ask for inclusion in the relevant package.

Anyone interested in helping out should head to the wiki page.

Clamav and spamassassin in main

ScottK reminded that there are a couple of MIRs that still need to be written before clamav and spamassassin can be included into main. The wiki page tracks all the remaining packages that should have a MIR written for. ScottK can be contacted to get an initial review of the MIR. ivoks and sommer volunteered to write some of the MIRs.

Rapache presentation and discussion

tacone gave an overview of the rapache project emgent and him started after UDS. Rapache is an Apache configurator gui. The goal is to lower the entry barrier for former windows system administrators used to configure IIS with a GUI.

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

sommer reported that he almost finished a new section about Kerberos. He also asked for a review of the Samba section.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren is still working on the rewrite in python of ubuntu-vm-builder. He is currently adding Xen support. mathiaz asked if there was some documentation available. soren said there wasn’t any – any help in this area is welcomed.

ACTION: soren to write a short README file to help people get started with the new ubuntu-vm-builder.

Migrate openldap configuration to cn=config

mathiaz spent most of his time last week on implementing cn=config support to the openldap package. Both new installs and upgrades are supported. He sent a patch to the Debian maintainers and is waiting for their feedback.

He also plans to look into FreeIPA once the cn=config migration is completed.

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirkland has some working code in his ppa. More testing of the mdadm package is welcome.

ACTION: kirkland to update the wiki page BootDegradedRaid with some testing instructions.

RAILS integration

macd reported that mod_rails has been packaged and uploaded to REVU. mathiaz reviewed it and sent his feedback to Neil (the packager). Overall it looks good.

macd also mentioned the discussions he’s having with the Debian maintainers for ruby/rubygems that is taking place in bug 145267. There was some discussion about the issue which boils down to a PATH issue. The debian gems and the source installed gems don’t end up in the same place. Rails apps looks in a specific place and rails isn’t capable of looking in more than one place. soren, macd and persia discussed the path issue and deferred it to #ubuntu-server after the meeting.

Migrate new installs and upgrades of client and server packages to use SSL v3 or TLS

ivoks prepared patches for a couple of packages to disable sslv2 in their configuration. He also sent an email on ubuntu-devel about disabling sslv2 directly in the openssl package. Discussion is ongoing, with a proposal to create an openssl-sslv2 package in universe that would be built with sslv2 enabled.

ACTION: ivoks to prepare a patch for the openssl package to disable sslv2.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 29th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.