Server Team 20080916 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on September 16th, 2008 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu VM builder

soren has been working on fixing bugs in vm-builder. He also added support for EC2.

ACTION: soren to write a blog post about vm-builder once it’s available in the archive

ACTION: sommer to update the virtualization section of the server guide once vm-builder is available in the archive

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

Koon offered to draft a section about tomcat for the Ubuntu Server Guide.

ACTION: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID section of the server guide

ACTION: Koon to draft a section about tomcat for the Server Guide.

Boot Support for Degraded RAID

kirkland added a question to the installer covering the topic of booting from a RAID array. If / or /boot is installed on an md device a question is asked about setting BOOT_DEGRADED to true or false. He also wrote a call for testing on his blog.

Tomcat6 server stack support

Koon reported that a new tomcat task is available at installation time. The number of dependencies is now reasonable. He has also been working on fixing tomcat5.5 in universe.

landscape-client in Ubuntu

mathiaz worked on splitting the landscape-client package into two. There are two blockers for Alpha6: a Pre-Depends on python-gobject and promotion of update-motd to main. He’s got a fix the first while kirkland is working on the latter.

Drupal install script

tarvid mentioned the script he wrote to install multiple instances of drupal. mathiaz suggested he comments on the Web Framework specification.

nagios3 in main

mathiaz inquired about the status of nagios3. Although its MIR had been accepted the package was never moved to main in hardy. In intrepid nagios2 disappeared while nagios3 entered universe. Koon is working on getting nagios3 promoted to main.

ACTION: Koon to ask an archive admin to promote nagios3 to main.

vsftpd 2.0.7

Adri2000 asked if a FF exception was needed for getting vsftpd 2.0.7 in intrepid. It wasn’t clear whether it was a bug-fix-only upstream release. mathiaz advised to ask for a FF exception, then work on an updated package and seek for sponsoring.

Mail server improvements

ScottK mentioned that clamav and spamassassin had been promoted to main and were available on the -server iso. clamav has also been updated to the latest version and may ship with an apparmor profile in Intrepid. He is also considering some refactoring of the amavisd-new configuration.

mathiaz asked if these packages would be added to the mail server task. ScottK said that may require some discussions.

ACTION: ScottK-laptop to start a discussion on ubuntu-server@ about adding spamassassin, clamav and amavisd-new to the mail-server task.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 23th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.