Server Team 20080930 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on September 30th, 2008 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Ubuntu vm builder

soren uploaded a new version that only fixes bugs. mathiaz asked about the supported images. soren said that xen had been supported for a few weeks now. He added that there was some interest to get virtualbox supported as well. For vmware nijaba stated that player, workstation and server should work. For ESX it may need a manual conversion with tools provided by VMware. Testing on these platforms is welcome.

nijaba has updated the the JeOS VmBuilder tutorial and would like to get some feedback on it.

JeOS for Intrepid

mathiaz noted that the JeOS iso won’t be produced for Intrepid. JeOS is instead an option when booting the -server installer by pressing F4 at the first screen. JeOS has also been renamed to Minimal Install.

However the linux-image-virtual kernel meta package isn’t available. The -server flavor is installed instead. soren is working on getting the virtual meta packages ready. mathiaz asked whether something else had to be done in the installer to get the virtual flavor installed. soren said the virtual flavor should be seeded but wasn’t sure if the installer code had to be updated.

Review ServerGuide for Intrepid

mathiaz reviewed the ldap section. He is planning on doing more testing to cover the replication section.

ACTION: sommer to update the JeOS and installation sections

ACTION: zul to do review of the virtualization of the server guide

ACTION: mathiaz to update the support section

nagios3 in main

Koon reported that nagios3 had been promoted to main. mathiaz seeded the packages on the server cd replacing the nagios2 packages.

Ubuntu Server Survey

nijaba announced that the Ubuntu Server survey had been launched. So far it got more than 2000 full replies. The result will be published before UDS. The survey will be closed on the last week of November. He also added that the launch plan was working well. Digging it is welcome !

ACTION: kirkland to blog about the server survey

Beta Freeze and release

mathiaz reminded that the archive was frozen in preparation for Beta scheduled for Thursday. As usual iso testing is coordinated on the Iso testing tracker.

Automatic RAID install

mathiaz reported that partman-auto-raid had been promoted to main and was now on the server iso. RAID installation can now be automated via preseeding.


ivoks reported that DRBD was broken in Intrepid. The kernel module (8.2.6) isn’t working with the tools (8.0.12) currently in the archive. He also added that updating the tools to 8.2.6 wouldn’t fix the issue. He successfully tested 8.2.7rc1 (both for the kernel module and the userspace tools).

ACTION: ivoks to send the drbd patch to the ubuntu-kernel mailing list to get 8.2.7rc1 in intrepid

ACTION: ivoks to upload 8.2.7 tools to a PPA ready for testing and sponsoring

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 7th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.