Server Team 20091223 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on December 23rd, 2009 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

Most of the assignee were not attending the meeting.

ACTION: jib to talk to robbiew about ecryptfs in ubuntu

Check blueprint status and progress for the week

  • server-lucid-eucalyptus-karmic-retrospective: on track
  • server-lucid-eucalyptus-merging-and-packaging: on track
  • server-lucid-seeds: on track
    • mathiaz is preparing the final list of packages and will ask for feedback on the remaining items.
  • server-lucid-euca-remote-autoregister: 50% done, slightly slowed down by 1.6.2 integration work, on track
  • server-lucid-uec-testing: on track, even though the completion rate is low.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

ttx brought bug 499785 – nic-usb-modules should include asix to the attention of the kernel team as it is needed to help test UEC in laptops environments.

mathiaz mentioned he had asked the kernel team for feedback on dropping the kernel-package package to universe.

Blueprints for post alpha2

Once alpha2 is out, the server team will look at the next set of blueprints to be implemented. Some of them still need more discussion which will happen during the next meeting on January 6th.

The following blueprints will be reviewed:

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 6th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Server Team 20091209 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on December 9th, 2009 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Scribe assignment

In an effort to share the burden, the responsibility and the community visibility, the meeting minutes scribe role will rotate alphabetically every week between the server team engineers. ttx will write up the current minutes, and zul will write the ones for next week. The process to follow is detailed in the Server team knowledge base. mathiaz can give access to the ubuntuserver blog to those missing it.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting

  • jos to find out the best time for the meeting: Server meeting time to stay the same for at least the next month or two

Check blueprint status and progress for the week

Everything is green so far. The Alpha2 burn down chart is positive. ScottK mentioned that his mail integration spec still needs approval.

ACTION: jos to review/approve server-lucid-more-mail-integration

Alpha1 ISO testing

Lucid Alpha 1 candidates are now up on the ISO tracker. Everyone is encouraged to participate in testing them ! Cloud images should be up soon as well.

ACTION: smoser to push cloud dailies to ISO tracker asap

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs

Nothing assigned to team needing re-assignment. Some team members are still assigned to more bugs than they should be actively working on, so this might need more review. No red flag raised.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team

KSM has been turned on and should land in post-Alpha1 kernels. It requires user space to use the madise system call to mark pages for sharing. That’s expected to be part of soon-released qemu-kvm 0.12. jjohansen still has to go through and update the EC2 configs to be more like virtual. On the table is also ramdisk-less images, -virtual kernels with all reasonable disk drivers for root devices as built-in, and Hz. This will be tracked in a bug that smoser will open.

ACTION: smoser to open bug for kernel team follow-up

Development sponsorship

Every server engineer with sponsorship capabilities is expected to spend one hour a week sponsoring stuff. The easiest way to track that is to do it every week at a fixed time, and combine it with Code reviews.

ACTION: zul, kirkland, mathiaz to sign up for sponsoring time on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews

Developer communication

Developer communication rules have been recently updated, please have a look at them and do the right thing.

soren’s QA project for Alpha2

Until Alpha-2, soren will be in the QA team, rather than the server team, working on automating a lot of the testing we are doing for servers. So far he has enabled a few test suites in package builds and set up kvm-autotest to do scripted, interactive testing.

Open Discussion

Instead of rewriting all Ubuntu Server python code in Perl, we plan to rewrite Jos in Python. Daviey encourages everyone to submit their Ubuntu Server tips to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/server-tips.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 16th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

RFC: -server packges universe demotions and main package promotion

Posted in Uncategorized on December 7th, 2009 by Dave Walker

The Ubuntu Server team would like to get your feedback on whether the packages listed below should be demoted to universe or promoted to main.

Since Lucid is an LTS release the Ubuntu Server team conducted a critical review of the current contents of the server related seeds in order to free some space on the -server CD and to reduce the number of packages we’ll be maintaining for 5 years. Some packages are not necessary, might be abandoned and thus should be demoted to universe. Some packages are brought up in main by recommends while they should just be suggested. Some very useful packages are missing and should be promoted to main.

The list of packages considered is tracked in a wiki page and included below.  You can either edit the wiki page with your comments or reply to this thread.

Proposed universe demotions

  • nis
  • elinks
  • lm-sensors
  • sensord
  • cricket
  • radvd
  • logwatch: logcheck provides the same functionality
  • vlock
  • lilo
  • libxp6
  • redhat-cluster-suite: not properly maintained
  • virt-manager
  • backuppc: bacula is the backup solution in main
  • racoon
  • ipsec-tools
  • siege
  • minicom: cu is tiny and trivial to support, but doesn’t support error correction
  • openssh-blacklist, openssl-blacklist: needs further consideration by cjwatson
  • analog: awstats is also in main – upstream much more active.
  • nut-hal-drivers: see Halsectomy

Proposed main promotions

  • oidentd
  • tdb-tools: for samba cluster
  • ctdb: for samba cluster
  • acl
  • nginx: 6.21 percent market share according to Netcraft
  • kernel-package: remove from -server iso

Proposed Recommends downgrades

  • kernel-package: remove from -server iso (stays in main thanks to platform.lucid/supported-development).

Server Team 20091202 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on December 3rd, 2009 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION from previous meeting

ACTION: ttx to review status of bugs the following bugs for any missing info

  • 455625: lacking some reproduction, the Eucalyptus team marked it invalid
  • 460085: missing some feedback from the Eucalyptus team, basically the results of their long-standing rampart tests
  • 461156: fixed in Lucid, SRU pending

ACTION: mathiaz to compile a list of easy merges for publication

Check blueprint status and progress for the week (jib)

  • Feature Definition Freeze is this week.
    • All Alpha2-targed blueprints must be approved by then.
    • All non-Alpha2 blueprints will have at least summary, rationale & user story in the spec, and any notes taken from UDS

  • Non Alpha2, but ready for review:
    • other-cloud-providers
    • vmbuilder-multiple-outputs
  • To track progress during Alpha2, we will:

Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs: http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html (jib)

  • Nothing assigned to team

Weekly SRU review (mathiaz)

2009 Server Survey announce: http://nicolas.barcet.com/drupal/en/2009-server-survey-announce

Nick Barcet announced the 2009 Server Survey. To improve exposure, any of you that can republish the announce on a loco planet or some other means do relay the info in the next couple weeks. So far, the plan is to keep the survey up at least until mid-january. Nick will shortly send an email to the server ML with the same information.

Open discussion

  • Spamassassin – 3.3.0 will hit beta “soon”, Daviey emailed the DM to ask if he wants to work together to get the package updated.
  • Mdz & sabdlf covered server specs for Lucid yesterday. Sabdfl was very pleased with the work that was put in.

Agree on next meeting date and time

  • Several people would prefer the meeting to be slightly later in the day. ACTION on jos to coordinate with Maria & Kirkland to find a more suitable hour if possible.

  • Until further notice, next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 9th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

A selection of easy merges from the Ubuntu Server Team

Posted in Uncategorized on December 1st, 2009 by Dave Walker

Now that UDS has ended one of the tasks Ubuntu developers focus on is merging packages from Debian. As Lucid will be an LTS release, packages from testing (instead of unstable) will be pulled in. Here is a selection of packages from the Ubuntu Server team that look easy to get you started on merges:

Some merges may already have been done. Other may turn out to be sync requests. And if you run out of packages to merge you can just head over to Merge-O-Matic to get the full list of packages waiting for your merging skills!