Server Team 20100217 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on February 22nd, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Specifications review for Feature Freeze

ttx conducted a review of some specifications in preparation for Feature Freeze:

  • server-lucid-aws-client-libraries: smoser reported all the relevant projects had been packaged and were waiting from review.

ACTION: ttx to follow up on server-lucid-cluster-stack and server-lucid-asterisk-integration via email

  • server-lucid-uec-testing: kirkland mentioned there was one topology left for testing. Everything was on track.
  • server-lucid-seeds: mathiaz commented that the next step was to make sure all packages had been demoted to universe. It was also decided to move all the rhcs related items to the cluster-stack blueprint.
  • server-lucid-cluster-stack: ivoks reported that all the packages were available in the ubuntu-ha PPA. The next step was to get all the MIR written before FF.
  • server-lucid-asterisk-integration: jdmault mentioned that all packages were available in his PPA. He was looking for help to get them uploaded to lucid before FF. Daviey offered some help in sponsoring relevant packages.

Boto 1.9 vs Boto 1.8 for euca2ools

ttx outlined the issue with euca2ools and boto. The current version of boto in the lucid archive was 1.9 whereas euca2ools had been thoroughly tested with version 1.8. He presented 3 options:

  1. Fix bugs a they come up, as its not black magic
  2. Revert to 1.8, and be stuck with an old lib
  3. Ship both version

After some discussion it was decided to focus on the first option.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team

smoser reported that both -virtual and -ec2 kernels were booting without ramdisks.

Server Papercuts

ttx conducted the review of the bugs nominated for the server-papercuts project. This was followed by a discussion about how many bugs should be worked on given the time frame. The goal was to fix 6 to 7 bugs a week given the number of bugs currently opened.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, February 24th at 14:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

NIS demoted to universe in Lucid Lynx

Posted in Uncategorized on February 19th, 2010 by Dave Walker

While preparing the next LTS release the Ubuntu Server team looked for packages that should be demoted to universe in order to ease the five year maintenance window that come with LTS releases. Discussion started during UDS and several requests for feedback have been sent  since then. Amongst the list of packages to be demoted to universe, the venerable nis package can be found.

The Network Information Service has been around for a long time – however its protocols are old and insecure by design for the current network environments. Better alternatives such as LDAP, Kerberos and DNS are available. That being said the package is still maintained in Debian and will be available from the universe repository in the next LTS release.

Server Team 20100210 meeting minutes

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes, Uncategorized on February 17th, 2010 by Dave Walker

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

Review ACTION points from previous meeting (jib)

  • ACTION: ttx to announce papercuts nominations
    • ttx: done
  • ACTION: zul to do another call to action for the apport hooks involvement
    • zul: will do today
  • ACTION: zul to raise php5.3 update on -server and -devel mailinglist, outline which apps are currently not working with 5.3
    • zul: done

Alpha3 progress review (ttx)

  • Make sure status is updated on each of your blueprint whiteboards EOD on Tuesdays !
  • Prio 1 specs < 70% completed: uec-testing, mysql-5.0, seeds

    • uec-testing (mathiaz)
      • kirkland: testing iso’s today
      • mathiaz: good shape
    • mysql-5.0 (zul)
      • zul: upload today
    • [ACTION] zul to forward issues about ctbd to jelmer to see if those can be lifted before FF
    • [ACTION] zul to do another call to action for the apport hooks involvement
    • Discussion on RHCS, whether to keep in main, move to universe; mailing list thread should reach a conclusion soon
    • daily-vcs (zul)
      • zul: been working on higher priority specs
    • puppet-etckeeper-integration (mathiaz, soren)
      • soren, mathiaz: should merge from debian unstable, not in danger
  • Prio 2 specs < 50% completed: daily-vcs, puppet-etckeeper-integration, puppet-uec-ec2-integration

server-lucid-papercuts (ttx)

server-lucid-papercuts

server-lucid-apport-hooks update (zul)

server-lucid-apport-hooks

  • zul: all prior 1 are done except for openssh its pending a review with cjwatson
  • ttx: As a general reminder, apport hooks are easy, and a great way of contributing your first patches/branches to Ubuntu

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (soren)

  • smoser: new guy starts: 15th (which is a US holiday) so 16th
  • soren: handed over automatic ISO testing stuff to the QA team. It’ll be running in the DC soon.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)

  • jjohansen: new EC2 kernel is checked in, has the latest updates, and updated configs

Weekly SRU review (mathiaz)

  • [ACTION] kirkland to propose a karmic fix for bug 503180 in PPA
    • kirkland: to upload karmic eucalyptus iptables fix for SRU, PPA first, then -proposed
      • done
  • Launchpad bug 364581 in mod-auth-mysql “Crash when logging in” [Low,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/364581

    • mathiaz: accepting

Open Discussion

  • kirkland: tftpd-hpa in lucid sucks
    • stgraber: I’m still not sure about what to do here but I’m very tempted to restore the old behavior
      • done
  • ttx: Ubuntu bug 508382 in bacula “bconsole does not connect to bacula-director” [Medium,Confirmed]

Agree on next meeting date and time

  • ttx: That will be again same place same time, for at least one more week